Thursday 24 May 2012

Reflections

Gotcha!
We're All Going On A ...
As I'm about to go on holiday - so things will quieten down here for a bit - I started reflecting on where I was a year ago. The direct geographical answer is "Rhodes, Greece". The indirect answer is "blissfully ignorant about all things CLIPPERS".  About a week after I got back last year I got my first CLIPPERS symptoms and the rest is documented here for all to see.

... Summer Holiday.
This year I'm fortunate to be in good health so far and, although the anniversary annoyingly won't quite work out, I'll be nearly steroid free when I get back (down to 2mg/day). The only minor blip at the moment is an elevated liver enzyme score (ALT) on my latest blood test (for monitoring adverse effects of Azathioprine). It's on the edge of the normal range so being kept an eye on for now. I haven't heard anything about my recent MRI so hopefully there wasn't much to see. Now all I have to do is remember to take it easy on holiday which after all is the whole point!

More Good News
Just read this morning that "Calcium pills pose 'heart risk'" which could be worrying for those of us on calcium supplements to support cortico-steroids. However "doubling" a small risk is still a small risk and for me the thought of Prednisolone, weakening my bones is more of a worry. So I'll be sticking with Calcichew-D3 while on Pred as my doctor advises. The usual disclaimer about me not being a doctor and my circumstances likely differing from yours applies here.

Read other articles in this series at Living With CLIPPERS.

Creative Commons Licence